Couples who are active together report higher rates of satisfaction in their relationships and often feel more in love with their partner (see Psychology Today for the full story). The BioLite team is definitely not surprised – some of our best dates have been while hiking or biking.
So why not mix it up and surprise your loved one with a romantic hike this Valentine’s day? There’s nothing better than spending some time on the trail with your loved one; conversation flows easily and there’s nothing like sipping a cup of tea or mulled wine steeped over a breathtaking view.
No matter where you live, take advantage of the great trails in your region. Below are a series of favorite treks recommended by the BioLite Community.
5 Hikes To Try Out This Valentine's Day
Northeast: Mt. Jo in the Adirondacks is a moderate 2.6 mile hike that is sure to get your heart pumping even if the temps are freezing. Our friend Johnie spent last Valentine's Day hiking Mt. Jo on a sunny frigid day, you can read about her time here. (Don't forget your crampons!)
California: Head to Joshua Tree for plenty of stunning hike options. We prefer Lost Palms Oasis. This 7-mile trek in the southern portion of the park brings you to a scenic overlook and areas where you can venture into the oasis. The trails are scattered with California fan palms and other native vegetation. It’s a moderate hike, which usually takes around three hours to complete.
Pacific Northwest: Crescent Beach Trail at Ecola State Park on the Oregon Coast is a moderate hike and all time favorite of Hayley, BioLite's Community Manager. "Not only do you get to walk through a mossy forest while you hike," she says. "You end up at a beautiful beach to explore. Winter is always the best time to watch the waves crash against the Oregon Coast's rock formations while you enjoy a picnic on the beach."
Southeast: Congaree National Park offers plenty of boardwalk trails or longer treks through one of the oldest and tallest forests east of the Mississippi. Our ambassadors Toni & Ruben (@ourwildlove) prefer to explore the trails at night with their PowerLight.
Utah: Hike through Arches National Park for guaranteed beautiful scenery with a variety of hikes that match however adventurous you and your partner are feeling. Roots Rated recommends five hikes that are particularly spectacular during the winter, our favorite is Delicate Arch.
Valentine's Hike Must Have: Mulled Wine
Bring along a CampStove and KettlePot surprise your partner with this killer mulled wine recipe.
- 2 cups apple cider
- ½ bottle of red wine or 375 ml of Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 orange, sliced and bagged before you head out
- 1 cinnamon stick, placed in a spice bag before you head out
- 2 whole cloves, placed in a spice bag before you head out
- 1 star anise, placed in a spice bag before you head out
- Looking to save space or weight before you go? Bring a tetrapack of wine. We like Bandit, and they come in 500ml sizes, which is perfect for our recipe.
- Combine the cider, wine, cinnamon sticks, oranges (save 2 slices for garnish), cloves, and star anise in the KettlePot.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into mugs, and add orange slice. Stir in honey sticks for sweetness.
- Backpacker's tip: Pre-bag all your spices into a single baggie before you head out. Slice 1 orange and bag it. Way easier than zesting, juicing, Adjust sweetness to your own liking by using honey straws
Are you spending this Valentine's Day in the outdoors? Take a picture on Instagram and tag @BioLite and your adventure may be featured this weekend!