This is a special guest post from Sprinter Van Diaries. In 2014, Nikki and Jakob set off on a pan-American road trip in a Dodge Sprinter van.
Experimenting in the kitchen when living in a van, boat, tent, bachelor pad, or just an NYC apartment can be difficult, being limited by cooking space, tight schedules, minimal kitchen equipment and little desire to clean dishes. On our trip from Canada to Argentina, we didn't have much access to the internet or the desire to search the web and filter through recipes that would fit our lifestyle.
In this book you’ll find some of the van and boatlife community’s favorite simple recipes. These recipes only require a handful of ingredients that are widely available, take 30 minutes or less to prepare and most can be cooked using a BioLite stove. And a major bonus: not a lot of cleanup. While many of the recipes call for specific ingredients, you’ll notice that the authors encourage you to vary ingredients or quantities based on your preferences - so go ahead, experiment a little.
We hope this book will help you explore new meals using what you have available in your kitchen that day, so that you are not stuck with the same go-to’s.
Don’t have time to view them all? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Buckwheat Griddle Cakes (page 9). Fire up your CampStove and treat yourself to a sweet breakfast with tips from our friends at @idletheorybus. Don’t forget the syrup!
- Coconut Ramen Veggie Soup (page 24). Throw a KettlePot on top of your CampStove and use this recipe to warm up during the cold months to come.
- Bacon Truffle Brussel Sprouts (page 28). A delicious addition to any meal, this side dish can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
- Grilled Banana Nutella Sando (page 50). It is a grilled banana and nutella sandwich, need we say more?
- Cranberry Kale Turkey Burgers (pg 35). Our friend Christin whipped up these burgers on her Portable Grill and could hardly keep her pups away from them (see below).