Cast Iron Cooking With The BioLite FirePit: Campsite Oatmeal
We call this GOATMeal: The Greatest Oatmeal of All Time (No goats were harmed in the making of this breakfast.)
Why such praise? It's simple to make, it can feed a whole crew, and it's a nutrient-packed way to start your day at the campsite and fuel your adventures with good energy.
The high-raised edges of the BioLite Griddle mean you can boil water and cook the oats quickly thanks to the expanded surface area - a great solution for when breakfast needs to be ready ASAP:
Gear You'll Need:
- BioLite FirePit+
- BioLite Griddle
- BioLite FirePit Lid (optional, but expedites boil and cook times)
- Prep & Grill Toolkit (or spatula/serving spoon of your choice)
- 2 Cups Quick Cooking Oats
- 4 Cups Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 TBSP Sugar (or more to your own taste)
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon (or more to your own taste)
- 1 Apple
- 1 Cup mix-ins: fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, etc
Bring four cups water to a boil in the Griddle. Add oats, salt, sugar, cinnamon and mix with spatula until well incorporated. Cover with lid for 2-4 minutes. While oats are cooking, slice apple into thin segments. Remove lid and line pan with apple slices. Add mix-ins to top of oatmeal and cover with lid for 1 more minute.
Remove lid and serve.
Make it your own: optional hacks and additions.
We kept this recipe super simple, but you can jazz it up with additional ingredients of your own to meet your taste and needs:
- Want to add a little decadence? Toss in some chocolate chips
- Looking for an extra energy boost? Add some spoons of almond butterto the bottom of your serving bowl
- Want something sweet but not granulated sugar? Try a little honey or maple syrup.
- Don't want anything sweet at all? Try a savory oatmeal and swap the sugar, spice, fruits, and nuts with shredded cheese, scallion, mushroom, and pepper (fried egg on top wouldn't hurt, either).
However you decide to start your day, the FirePit and Griddle are a terrific pair to help make your group breakfast a surefire win.