FirePit Cookbook: Oktoberfest Reuben
Well, it’s officially fall and to get us in the spirit, our resident butcher Ted (@wellfedted) stopped by the BioLite Biergarten to grill up his take on Oktoberfest grub. While sipping on some seasonal local drafts, we watched him whip up some flavor packed sandwiches on the FirePit. We pulled together a quick recap video so you can learn how to make Grilled Sausage Reubens with Quick Cabbage Kraut:
Recreate this Recipe on your FirePit:
Ingredients (makes 2 sandwiches)
- 4 Links Smoked Sausage (about 1.25 lbs), halved lengthwise
- 4 Slices Sourdough Bread
- 1/4 Head of Red Cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
- 4 Oz Swiss, Emmanthaler, or Gruyere Cheese (sliced or shredded)
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse-Ground Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Softened Butter
- Start by making the quick kraut: preheat the BioLite FirePit using a hot/cold system (one side with coals, one side without). While the coals are heating up, core the cabbage and cut into quarters. Once the coals are up to temp, place the cored cabbage on the hot side of the FirePit and cook until nicely charred (about 5 minutes) and then flip and repeat. Once grilled, remove the cabbage and let it cool. Once cool enough to handle, slice cabbage into 1/4" strips and place in a non-reactive bowl (stainless steel, glass, plastic). Toss cabbage in apple cider vinegar, caraway seeds, and salt and set aside.
- Slice the sausages in half (lengthwise) - this increases surface area for more contact with the grill (which means more flavor). Grill sausages on the hot side of the FirepPit until charred (about 3 minutes on each side) and then move to the cool side to keep warm.
- Spread softened butter on one side of each slice of bread and grill, buttered-side-down, and place the cheese on top to begin melting. Once the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, move it to a plate. Once cool, add a generous smear of mustard to each piece. Top with three pieces of sausage, more cheese and a handful of the red cabbage.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately with your favorite beer and dill pickle chips.