FirePit Cookbook: Sweets & Beets with Miso-Tahini Dressing
A Colorful, Flavor-Packed Side Dish
Looking for a delicious side dish to serve at your next dinner party or bring along to an upcoming potluck, consider switching it up with this vegetarian combo. Grilled sweet potatoes and beets not only look appetizing but when drizzled with the miso-tahini dressing become a meal everyone at your party will want to devour. Shout out to our friends over at UncommonGoods for introducing us to this winning recipe that pairs perfectly with the FirePit.
- BioLite FirePit
- Cutting board
- Knife and peeler
- Spatula or tongs for the grill
- Small bowl
- Heavy duty aluminum foil
- 4 Sweet potatoes
- 3 Beets
- 3-4 Tbsp Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 Large garlic clove
- 1 inch Piece of fresh ginger root
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 2 Tbsp Mellow white miso
- 1/4 Cup Rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chili paste (or sriracha)
- 1/2 Tbsp Honey
- 1/3 Cup Pepitas
Optional: Cilantro sprigs to top
- Fire up your FirePit using charcoal and the fuel rack at the highest level. For tips and tricks for getting started, check out our FirePit Instructional Video.
- While the grill is heating up, peel the sweet potatoes and beets and slice lengthwise, or on a diagonal, into 1/4 inch-thick pieces.
- Coat the sweet potato and beet slices with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with Kosher salt and cayenne pepper. Wrap several slices together in an aluminum foil packet.
- Cook on the preheated FirePit, turning pouches every 10 minutes until potatoes and beets are tender and cooked through (20-30 minutes).
- You may finish them off, if desired, by removing from the foil packets before they are cooked through and placing the slices directly on the grill top for a few minutes until each side gets some grill marks, between 3-6 minutes for each side, depending on how hot your FirePit is.
- While the sweets and beets are grilling, prepare the miso-tahini dressing.
- Finely grate 1.5 tsp of fresh ginger and mince 1 clove garlic.
- Mix together garlic, ginger, tahini, white miso, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, chili paste, honey, and a splash of water to thin as needed. Set aside.
- Carefully remove the foil packets from the grill.
- Drizzle the sweets and beets generously with tahini-miso dressing and garnish with pepitas and cilantro.
Special thanks to our ambassadors Elsa Rhae and Barron Link for testing out this recipe.